Sundays Made Simple: Mushroom Lentil Sliders
In an attempt to eat "healthier" this past Super Bowl Sunday, I found a recipe in, none other, but Blissful Basil's newest cookbook for a fresh take on sliders. The recipe does not exist online but I found a similar version to share with you today.
The results were astonishing. No meat, plant based patties with homemade, gluten free buns that knocked our socks off. There was no shortage of taste or fullness either. My husband and I downed two and were left rubbing our bellies minus the guilt, which, is what makes me continue to return to this cookbook. I will add that this recipe took longer than the book predicted but I think that's normal with first time recipes including ones that call for homemade bread. Happy to report I can now check that off my list and it was delicious!
Here's a similar recipe for you to adapt at home. And if you try it, tell me what you think!
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
3/4 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, chopped
5 regular or whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted and divided
6 ounces presliced cremini mushrooms
1 (8-ounce) pouch precooked black beluga lentils (such as Archer Farms)
4 teaspoons Dijon mustard, divided
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 ounce goat cheese, crumbled
1 1/2 tablespoons canola mayonnaise
1/2 cup baby arugula
1. Preheat broiler.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Remove from heat.
3. Place 1 bun in a food processor; process until coarse crumbs form. Remove breadcrumbs from food processor; set aside.
4. Combine mushrooms, lentils, 2 teaspoons mustard, and the next 3 ingredients (through salt) in food processor; pulse to combine.
5. Combine onion mixture, breadcrumbs, mushroom mixture, and egg in a large bowl, stirring well. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions, gently shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add patties; cook for 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove patties from pan; arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Sprinkle patties evenly with cheese. Place under broiler for 2 minutes or until cheese is softened.
6. Combine canola mayonnaise and remaining 2 teaspoons mustard in a small bowl. Spread the top half of each of the remaining 4 buns with 2 teaspoons mayonnaise mixture. Top each bottom half of bun with 1 patty. Divide arugula evenly among burgers; top with top half of bun, mayonnaise-coated side down.
Bon appetit! Also, ICYMI, do share your thoughts in my annual 2017 survey found here. Thanks folks!
Check out today's link ups: The Mummy Chronicles, The Pleated Poppy, Tucker Up, Get Your Pretty On, Shopping My Closet Mix & Match Fashion, Penniless Socialite, Sincerely Jenna Marie, Living in Color!