Toner: why I can't live without it + 5 of my favorites!
I never used any sort of toner until my mid-30's. Quite frankly, it seemed like a lot of work to add an extra step into my skincare routine. How's that for laziness? Don't answer.
Now, I CANNOT live without a toner. It's the finishing step in achieving that squeaky clean sensation we all know and love. Truth be told, your skin should never feel squeaky clean but the illusion of that sensation is very satisfying isn't it?
So what is the benefit of using a toner you ask? I'll tell you because it's really simple. It erases a day's worth of sweat, grime, built up oils and restores your skin's pH balance. It also serves as a layer of protection against our household tap water that's laden with chemicals such as chlorine. And my most favorite quality: it shrinks pores. In case you were unaware - I have GIANT pores!
And, here's one more fun fact: it can prevent ingrown hairs. Most toners contain glycolic or other alpha hydroxy acids that condition the skin thus preventing pore blockage.
Are you convinced? Good. Today I am going to share the top five toners I rotate in my bathroom cabinet. You must know that I truly have used all five and buy them on the regular. I switch up my toners every two months or so just so my skin doesn't get lazy and immune to certain products. Toners being one of them!
All items are linked below!
- Pacifica Coconut Water: I'll admit, I like the idea of coconut anything but this one won my heart over because it really does deliver that squeaky clean feel. My skin feels polished and there are no traces of grime whatsoever. It can be found at Target or Amazon!
- IT Miracle Water: The size of this product alone is fabulous because you get a lot for your money. That said, I found this to be one of the most hydrating toners. I actually skip moisturizing with this product. I also feel like it's really sloughing off dead skin cells, too. If you think your face is clean after cleansing...you be wrong my friends! This stuff really gets it ALL off.
- Frownies Organic Rose Water Spray: I am currently using this product about 3x's a day. It's that good. I use it out of the shower, for a midday refresh and after I cleanse at night. It's light and airy. My girls love it, too and I love what the brand stands for which is no harmful testing, they are kind to the earth and they are organic. It's incredibly portable, too. I might carry this in my purse...just saying.
- Clinique Clarifying Lotion: It's an oldie but a goodie. My mom raised me on this skincare routine. I actually received a gift with purchase and used the travel size on vacation. Nothing's changed. It's simple and pure and gets the job done. Bravo for consistency and no scent either.
- Pixi Glow Tonic: This was a new discovery in 2017. The scent is intoxicating and there is a slight tingle when applying so you know something is happening. It's gentle on the skin and I can attest to this as well. My girls were a little chafed from sun and pool when we returned home and I used this on their delicate faces. To their and my delight, no burning whatsoever. It's a little miracle worker that I keep returning to...which is easy to do since I grab mine at Target!
Let's get toned in 2018! Do your skin a favor...add this step into your beauty routine, stat. Happy Friday!
Photography by Hallie Duesenberg