Working from home - my tips on how to do it right.
My office isn't really my office. My office isn't sexy. Or glam. It's actually pretty random. And it will probably be the last room in the house we finish. In fact, my office is actually his office. By his I am referring to my husband.
I've been working from home for 10 years now. And I love it! I love it for many more reasons than when I initially started. I have no one to micromanage me. I don't have to partake in water cooler talk. And sometimes, I don't have to get out of my yoga pants. Sometimes my lunch client is a 2.5 and a 1.5 year old and we eat dino nuggets and talk about princesses.
Yeah, you won't get complaints out of me. But! Working from home isn't for everyone and today I am going to share my top tips for making it a successful venture for you and your loved ones...
1. Get up. Get out of bed when your partner or roommate does. Don't sleep in.
2. Get the coffee going. Check your email. Start responding to people...let them know you're the early bird and you're getting that worm!
3. Drink more coffee. Make a list of the things you want to accomplish today.
4. Shower and shower early. Show up for the job!
5. Change out of your pajamas. Yeah, you heard that right. Get out of your pajamas and put on a fresh outfit. You will feel more confident and productive.
6. Apply makeup. I am serious. I feel confidence can be conveyed over the phone. Generally speaking you will see me with mascara and lipstick on home days. Plus, I don't want my husband to think I'm a schlep. I want to feel pretty when he walks through that door; my former boss taught me that.
7. Eat lunch in a different room. Get up and get the blood flowing.
8. Run an errand on your lunch hour. You would be amazed what a change of scenery can do for your energy.
9. If it's warm, open the windows...listen to music. Afternoons are hard.
10. Drink more coffee. The winters are challenging when you're cozy and want to nod off to sleep.
11. Make a list for tomorrow. Stay focused and DO NOT call your friends!
12. When 5:30 hits...sign off. As in, walk away from your computer. Work/life balance is complicated when you work from home but it is essential.
Do any of you work from home? What are your tips?